edcamp Northern Illinois
What is edcamp Northern Illinois?
An evening of free professional development for educators by educators where the participants drive the content. This is the place to share new classroom tools, ideas, and strategies; action research findings; and discussion of hot topics in education. Area educators, teacher candidates, and university faculty are invited to attend.
- Light dinner buffet provided
- Professional development hours available
We need you!
We know that there are lots of educators out there doing some really innovative things. If you are one of them, here is your chance to share. There are always opportunities to facilitate a session and share your success with others. Not sure what to talk about? Here are some ideas.
- Share a favorite web tool or app
- Discuss a new approach to a favorite lesson
- Share a classroom success story
- Collaborate to solve a shared challenge
If facilitating a session is not your thing, then host a round table discussion. Discuss and share ideas on some hot topics.
Browse the session selections from 2016.
NIU planners of edcamp Northern Illinois include
Frequently Asked Questions
We have invited educators from across northern Illinois and from all levels including K-12 teachers and specialists, pre-service teachers, university faculty, and K-12 administrators.
We cannot guarantee that educators exactly like you will be there since there is no one exactly like you. We are hoping for a wide variety of participants from different content areas and grade levels. However, like you, they will all be enthusiastic and ready to share great ideas.
We strongly encourage you to register before April 3rd. Since food is provided, we need to know how many mouths to feed. Also, we do have a maximum attendance number. Register ahead of time to ensure a spot.
Yes and no. There is a session sign-up sheet online where you can view the current sessions and sign-up to host a session. More sessions may be added as the day approaches or on the day of edcamp.
Yes. We have left several time slots open in both the morning and afternoon for any impromptu sessions or discussions.
There are a few things you need to do to prepare for edcampNI.
- Make sure to register. Follow this link to let us know that you will be there.
- You may sign up to host a session using the sign-up sheet.
- Tell your friends! Tweet it! Facebook it! Sing it from the mountain tops (Ok, we don’t have mountain tops here but you get the idea.) Spread the word and encourage others to join you.
- Follow us on Twitter (@ and #edcampNI). Like the NIU STEAM Works on Facebook.
Ideas, connections, door prizes, giveaways, Professional Develop Hours!
How much or how little you want to bring is up to you. Here are some suggestions.
- Bring your own (charged) device (laptop, tablet, iPad, notebook and pen, any other device you need). There will be free wifi access in the building and you may need it for the some of the sessions.
- Business cards. You might want to follow-up with some of the people you meet.
- Ideas to share and questions to ask.
Nothing, nada, zilch, zero. This event is completely free for all participants.
Yes. A light buffet dinner will be served.
If you can’t stay the entire evening, that is fine. However, door prize winners will be drawn at the end of the event.
Yes. There are a couple of ways you can still be part of edcampNI even if you are miles away. We are encouraging all participants to tweet using #edcampNI.
We greatly appreciate the involvement and generosity of our 2017 sponsors!